Sunday, June 24, 2007

When I'm Avoiding Work

Two books I'm scanning and reading for pleasure and escape are:
Combatting Cult Mind Control by Steven Hassan and the Guidebook for Marines.

Hassan's book is interesting for several reasons. First, I find the rhetoric and discussion about what and who exactly are a "cult" to be fascinating. Second, I like to learn how people manipulate one another--especially if it is an orchestrated and specific fashion. The more you are aware how people can work you, the less likely you are to get worked. At least that is how I think about it. The book also provides some great clues about what to spot for troublesome groups. For example, not letting people get up and go to the bathroom during two, three, or four hour seminars is a classic control tool. The group literally controls your body and bodily functions. If that is not problematic, then I don't know what is. First the body, then the mind.

I'm not paranoid. A good defense is a solid, knowledgeable defense.

The Guidebook for Marines, 16th Revised Edition from July 1990, which I own is seriously water damaged. Perhaps that is why I got it for 23 cents?

Just today, on page 1, I found the following passage
In the words of militay historian, B.H. Liddel Hart, "Amphibious flexibility is the greatest strategic asset that a seabased power possesses."


You read right, "militay" is misspelled. "Seabased" should have a dash in it as well. Maybe I'm just being nitpicky?

The Guidebook does have a great selection of exercises and workout regimes in it. They start on page 177.

Under "Principles of Leadership," there is an interesting section at the end.
When you, as a Marine NCO, have provided your unit with that type of leadership, then you already will have reaped the greatest return. By definition you'll (l) have accomplished your mission and (2) command the willing obedience, confidence, loyalty, and respect of the United States Marines under you. There is no more satisfactory reward, anywhere.

(The bold is in the book; it is not mine.) If this statement is accurate for many Marines, then they surely have a good thing going. Honestly, I can think of few areas in my life and experience--outside of family and clan--where there is this level of trust, loyalty, reliance, and confidence. I can see why, in many ways, people would want to be a part of the culture where this is the optimal, this is what is targeted, and this is what is often achieved.

Unfortunately, it comes packaged with the military. Duh, right? I wonder whether this kind of bonding is, of necessity, the result of military training--or is it born of stress, discipline, and achievement? Also, I wonder why we, as a culture, do not demand "trust, loyalty, reliance, and confidence" to be aspects in everyone's character?

Hmmm. Time to think.

No comments: