Friday, June 29, 2007

More Reading: Goulart & Hinton

Started and finished S. E. Hinton's Rumble Fish. It was a fast and good read. I definitely get the appeal of that book. So far, tough thugs, playing pool, juvenile drinking, and smoking cigs all are repeated themes. Fights are too. I'm looking forward to reading more of the stuff. Somehow, this genre is working for me at the moment.

I picked up Ron Goulart's The Tin Angel because I recognized his name; he had at least one book published by Pulphouse in the 1990s. The book was thin, so I picked it up--a quick read I thought. It was quick; it was fun; it was enjoyable. Not exactly spectacle or universe-stunning text, but it was a solid read. It did exactly what I wanted it to do: entertain me with some new perspectives and ideas. When you have a talking android dog engaged in conspiracy between getting sauced and offering up tasteless jokes, you know there is a good blend going on.

Good read. I'm happy.

No comments: